When you think of fall, which scents do you think of most? When we asked our oil loving friends they said cinnamon, clove and wild orange. Do you also think of cassia, ginger and cardamom? Here are a few more that, when combined with other oils, also evoke feelings and scents of autumn: cedarwood, cypress, arborvitae, coriander, black pepper, sandalwood, frankincense, tangerine, rosemary, vetiver, patchouli and juniper berry.
Would you like to know more about how to use these oils in your home to surround yourself with the feeling and scents of fall? Great! We have some amazing ideas to share with you!
1. DIFFUSING ESSENTIAL OILS - adding essential oils to your diffuser not only makes your space smell fabulous, but you also gain the therapeutic benefits of the oils as well! Here are a few fall diffuser blends to get you started.
- SPICED CHAI DIFFUSER BLEND - 3 drops cardamom, 1 drop clove, 1 drop cassia, 1 drop ginger
- APPLE PIE DIFFUSER BLEND - 2 drops clove, 2 cinnamon bark, 2 drops ginger, 1 drop nutmeg (optional)
- SWEATER WEATHER DIFFUSER BLEND - 3 drops eucalyptus, 2 drops juniper berry, 1 drop sage
2. FALL ESSENTIAL OILS FOR CLEANING - try adding any of the fall oils to your cleaners. If you already use and love doTERRA's on guard cleaner concentrate, you can still add a drop or two of the oils we mentioned above for even more fall scent. We especially like rosemary and arborvitae for their disinfecting properties.
3. ROOM SPRAYS - why not whip up a room spray with your essential oils? Here is a recipe we love.
- Pumpkin Spice Room Spray- add the following to a 16 ounce spray bottle and shake to combine (to make an 8oz spray, simply cut the recipe in half): 1 cup distilled water, 1/4 cup witch hazel, 15 drops cinnamon essential oil, 10 drops clove essential oil, 10 drops ginger essential oil, 10 drops wild orange essential oil, 5 drops cardamom essential oil
4. SCENTED PINE CONES -
If you have collected pinecones from your yard or nature, then first start with baking the bugs out of your pinecones. Bake in 200 degree oven for 1 hour and then let completely cool. (If you bought your pinecones at a store, or are reusing ones from your collection of decorations, then you can skip the baking step.)
Place your pinecones in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Sprinkle pinecones with 15-20 drops of cinnamon essential oil (or fall essential oil blend of your choice). Toss them to coat. Cover bowl tightly. Every couple of days, shake pinecones to distribute essential oil and scent. After a few weeks the pinecones are ready to use.
5. FALL SCENTED LAUNDRY -have you switched to dryer balls yet? We used dryer sheets for years, but are so glad we discovered dryer balls. They have none of the toxic chemicals found in dryer sheets, are significantly less expensive to use, and reduce drying time (which saves us even more money because we’re using less energy to dry our clothes)! Just add a couple of drops of essential oil to your dryer balls and put them in the dryer along with your clothes. You can use a single oil or make your own blends. Here are some great fall scent combinations to try: orange & cinnamon, juniper berry & orange, rosemary, orange, & eucalyptus, cinnamon, clove, & cedarwood. Or make up your own new blend!
6. ADD OILS AROUND YOUR HOME- add a drop or two of any of the amazing blends we talked about here to the inside of your toilet paper roll, your furnace air filter, or on a cotton ball in hidden places like the inside of your trash can.
7. FALL ON THE GO - add your favorite fall blend to your car diffuser, your diffuser jewelry, or make a roller bottle so that you can enjoy your favorite fall scent anywhere you are.